St. George Church, Puthuppally

puthuppally_pally

Official Website

പുതുപ്പള്ളിപ്പള്ളി:

പ്രമുഖ ജോര്‍ജിയന്‍ തീര്‍ത്ഥാടനകേന്ദ്രം. വി. ഗീവറുഗ്ഗീസ്‌ സഹദായുടെ നാമത്തില്‍. തെക്കുംകൂര്‍ രാജാക്കത്താര്‍ പണിയിച്ചുവത്രേ. മേടം 15–24 വരെ പെരുന്നാള്‍. പൊന്നിന്‍കുരിശും, വെച്ചൂട്ട്‌ സദ്യയും കോഴിവെട്ടും പ്രസിദ്ധം. 36 കരകളിലെ ആളുകള്‍ ചേര്‍ന്ന്‌ ആചാരാനുഷ്‌ഠാനങ്ങളോടെ നടത്തുന്ന പെരുന്നാള്‍. പള്ളി 2004–ല്‍ ഗംഭീരമായി പുതുക്കിപ്പണിതു; വി. ഗീവറുഗ്ഗീസ്‌ സഹദായുടെ തിരുശേഷിപ്പ്‌ പ്രതിഷ്‌ഠിച്ചു.

പാറേട്ട്‌ മാര്‍ മാത്യൂസ്‌ ഈവാനിയോസ്‌, നരിമറ്റത്തില്‍ മാര്‍ യൂഹാനോന്‍ സേവേറിയോസ്‌, കേരള മുഖ്യമന്ത്രി ഉമ്മന്‍ചാണ്ടി, ഇസ്സഡ്‌. എം. പാറേട്ട് എന്നിവര്‍ ഈ ഇടവകക്കാരാണ്‌.

2006 ഒക്‌ടോ. 12–ന്‌ പൌരസ്‌ത്യ ജോര്‍ജിയന്‍ തീര്‍ത്ഥാടനകേന്ദ്രമായി പ. ദിദിമോസ്‌ ബാവാ പ്രഖ്യാപിച്ചു.  ഈ ഇടവകാംഗമാണ്.

Unofficial Site: http://puthuppallypally.com/

Puthuppally St.George Church is one of the oldest and renowned churches of Malankara Orthodox Church. As the name itself proclaims. The patron saint of this parish is St.George. Situated by the side of coconut palms and a wide stretch of paddy fields, at a beautiful and serene village called Puthuppally which is about 8 kms from Kottayam Town, this church is the refuge of thousands of people all over the world who seek the intercession of St.George. It is believed that this church was established as a shrine of Changanacherry Pally which in turn was a shrine of Niranam pally, one of the ” Ezhara Pallis ” consecrated by St.Thomas Theapostle of India.

St. George Orthodox Church (Puthupally Pally) is a prominent church that belongs to the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. This church is situated beside the Puthuppally-Changancherry road about a kilometre from the Puthuppally junction, on the eastern bank of the Kodoorar rivulet.

History

This Church is known for the intercession of its patron saint St.George. It is believed that the saint (called Geevargheese Sahada in Malayalam) protects believers against serpents, ailments, and any kind of danger in general.

The Church is also known for its rich traditions as well as its wealth. The sanctum sanctorum (madbaha) has ornate wall paintings and is intricately decorated. The church has a Golden Cross weighting around 450 sovereigns(Ponkurisu) which is only taken out for an annual festival every year where it is venerated by devotees.

History

Popularly known as Puthupally Pally or Puthupally Valiyapally, it was rebuilt, expanded and renovated five times during the past four and half centuries of its existence. This ancient church was originally built as a chapel (kochu pally) in the name of St.Mary in AD 1557 near Vazhakulam Hindu temple on a hillock which later came to be known as Kochupallikunnu. Eight decades later, in AD 1640 it was shifted and rebuilt in the name of Mar Bahanan Sahada at its present location at Elamthuruthi Kunnu.In AD 1750, the church was rebuilt in the name of St.George while retaining main portions of the Mar Bahanan Church. This church is believed to have risen to glory and fame as a centre of solace in the next 250 years by the grace of God and the blessings of St.Mary, St.Bahanan and St.George.

in 2003, the church was rebuilt and consecrated with the intention of making it a composite shrine to all the patron saints who were associated with it. The church of St.George was retained and the verandas on either side of it were replaced by a chapel in the name of St.Mary on the north side and a chapel in the name of St.Bahanan on the south side. There are three altars in each of these three sections of the church.

Apart from the eponymous main altar of St.George church, those on the left and right are in the names of St.Thomas and St.Gregorious of Parumala respectively. The main altar of St.Mary’s chapel is in the name of St.Mary and those on the left and right are respectively are in the names of Mortha Shmooni and Mortha Yulithi. The main altar of St.Bahanan’s chapel is in the name of St.Bahanan and those on the left and right are respectively in the names of St.Vattasseril Geevarghese Dionysius and His Grace Kuriakose Mar Gregorious of Pampady. Thus, devotees believe that the newly consecrated church is imbued with the presence and blessings of nine intercessors. Devotees to this church are large in number and belong to various religion, caste and creed. Most of the pilgrimage to this church is received during the days proceeding and succeeding the Feast of St.George

In 2007,the shrine was declared as a Georgian Pilgrim Centre of the East by His Holiness Baselious Didymus-I, who is Catholicos of the East. On Feb 17th, 2009, the church hosted the event where 7 bishops were consecrated to the Malankara Indian Orthodox Syrian Church.

2 Responses to “St. George Church, Puthuppally

  • Kozivettu eppol undu

  • Ummenchandy also member of this church…oru chappel undu….kaithamattom….latest ayi 5 methran mara evida vazichu…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *